Friday, July 27, 2012

Washington - the food


OK time to catch up on some food blogging before I forget where we went! Really haven't been in the mood lately as my stomach has been giving me serious grief. So what happened in Washington?

Well a lot of the food available in Washington rather falls in to these categories..."personal cheese pizza" mmm...

But this time I actually managed to find good food in Washington outside Wholefoods :) It helped that we were staying 1 block fromm Dupont Circle. Our first meal was at a little Asian bistro near the circle called Raku. Jay had some mamoth soupy curry, and I had a yummy vegetarian sushi platter - way too much food, but fabulously fresh and yummy.
 

We also found a great Spanish Tapas restaruant near Georgetown University called Bodega, as we decided that we just had to try their vegetarian paella (Jay's "signature dish"). I have to say the paella wasn't as good as Jay's....rice too crunchy for my tastes...but it was still fanastatic, and I think gave Jay some ideas for recipe variations. The restaurant decor was also fabulous (yes I wanted to steal the wall paper) and the staff very friendly (in a town I generally find to be pretty rude).

I am not going to write about the cafe in the art gallery as the you could die waiting to get the cheque (not bill) in that place...except to say that this rather unappetising cream dessert was to die for.

But on to some important food discoveries in Washington - first and most importantly, Hello Cupcake. This place had the best GF cupcakes I have ever had in my whole entire life. In fact, best GF cake product I have had in my life (they have vegan ones too). I was so impressed I even bought a t shirt. Yes I am sad, but I will probably never be back unless I have to go to Washington for work again.
Next up - Rasika Indian restaurant - I had read rave reviews of this place on line so I had booked a table from Australia as Jay loves Indian food, and we were not disappointed, though I must admit it wasn't quite as good as I expected. When the entrees came (sorry make that appetizers...), I was literally in food heaven and I thought this was the best Indian food I had ever eaten (beating even Zafraan in Sydney), but the rest of the meal was unfortunately not as good, still fabulous, just not mind-blowing (and my dessert was kind of gross, much prefer Mango Kulfi from Digress in Canberra!). Still the staff loved my Indian dress, and the wine and company were wonderful :)

We also found a cool little Asian tapas restaurant called Ping Pong at Dupont circle...a lot of glutinous stuff I couldn't eat, but great Asian food cocktails, and Jay looked very happy eating his dumplings and drinking a martini while we escaped from the heat. And best and simplest brocolli dish ever was consumed here. I think Jay has a new cricket watching snack when we get home.

But last but not least I must make note of the breakfasts at our B&B in Washington. Wow. The lovely lady who works at the Inn (and upgraded us to the best room from the worst room!) and has done for 12 years, prepares the below remarkable breakfast table every morning (the photo probably doesn't really do it justice), and also makes fresh pancakes and omlettes. Both jay and I was in heaven - Jay with the pancakes, me because on the other side of the world I found someone who makes eggs like my mum :) They also put out drinks and desserts on this table every night for guests, if you could ever possibly find room in your stomach to fit the in. The whole house was gorgeous and certainly made my return visit to Washington (which I really wasn't looking forward to) much better.





No comments:

Post a Comment