Friday, July 6, 2012

Vancouver - the food part 2

Since I am sitting here horribly glutened with Jay peacefully sleeping behind me...might as well catch up on some food blogging! And remember times when my stomach didn't feel like it was being punched by a boxer.


This is a photo of Jay sampling some lovely Canadian wines by the harbour in Victoria. I am including this to record the weirdness that is ordering wine in ounces. I ordered six oz of wine...Jay ordered nine, and so was given an additional carafe of wine with the extra three oz. Weird. But then in Australia I supposed we have the new "lines on the glass thing".
 The photos below are from the wonderful meal that my friend Yoni in Vancouver treated us to. She took us to the Boathouse. Not the Canberra one :p but the one on Kitsilano Beach. Unfortunately, it was a rainy day as apparently is common in the month of “Junuary” in Vancouver. But it was still gorgeous overlooking the harbour. The food was also incredible and the service even better. The waiter practically gave us a floor show and made lots of great recommendations - including for wine. Apparently it is almost impossible to get this wine outside Canada - but if you see it get it! Burrowing Owl Pinot Gris. Wow.

To start we shared, some yam fries (which at the time I didn't realise were to become standard part of diet for the next few weeks) and these amazing coconut covered deep fried prawns. Perfectly cooked and full of flavour. For mains, Yoni had the Steelhead (???) and I had halibut, and Jay salmon. Yes we were naughty and ate fish, but hey it was seafood restaurant and it smelt so good!

A much cheaper but still very yummy vego meal was then had the next day when Jay and I went exploring the Punjabi market in Vancouver. It is not really a market but more a few blocks of shops filled with bollywood heaven, plus a number of restaurants that do vegetarian Indian buffets. We went to All India Sweets and Restaurant, it wasn't brilliant but it was yummy - the dahl was definitely the "hero of the dish". The staff were also lovely and didn't laugh when I took a while to understand what "pop" was. I was too full afterwards to try the sweets, but they looked pretty! :)


Final Vancouver food memory to record is from a bar we stumbled on my accident while killing time between trains (holidays are tough :p). It is on Main St in Vancouver - a really interesting street that Jay and I walked 51 blocks of (I didn't count I know because the station is before 1st Avenue and Punjabi Market is from 49th-51st street; useful yet boring these naming of streets with numbers). Along the way we stopped at Queen Elizabeth Park, a number of second hand shops and this pub called Portland Craft. Much to Jay's distress this pub had a number of their own beers on tap - a bit like the wig and pen but much fancier. Jay drank a beer called Twilight just for me :p but more importantly this pub had its own home made pickles!!!! These were awesome...but I am must admit I am not convinced that you can get away with pickled blueberries - I think that was taking things a little too far.

1 comment:

  1. The Boathouse sounds great - glad you are having an amazing holiday!

    ReplyDelete