Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jasper - the food

Oops...realised that I completely forgot to do a food report for Jasper, which would be very unfair given that despite being in the middle of nowhere, has been the most GF friendly place I have visited so far.

But first off you may all be interested in what food is like on a Canadian sleeper train...well my first breakfast was below...the first of many an omlette I have eaten in North America (in fact if I see another one I may throw it at the wall), but at this point in the troop it was great to have a hot GF vegie breakfast on the train - even if there were bits of American fluro yellow cheese on top...).

First worthy of mention in Jasper itself in terms of good food experiences was the pizza bar, which is right on the main road and had a gorgeous rooftop where you could sit and gaze at the surrounding mountains. Up until today, Jay had his best vegie burger of the trip here. Disturbingly however when I asked him why after being very coy he eventually admitted that it was because the sauce reminded him of Big Mac sauce!!! Gor-met Jay :)
 
But more importantly, I was able to get the first and only GF pizza I have seen over here...and it was probably the best one I have ever eaten. It was called an Athabasca and had artichokes, olives, red peppers and mushrooms. I also gave in and tried the whole parmesan and chilli flakes thing (which get presented to you with every pizza), and once past the initial oh my god I am putting extra cheese on a pizza horror, it was actually really good. In fact everything with archichokes around here is generally fantastic...


 
But if you do find yourself in Jasper particularly as a GF/vego, do make sure you go to Downstream Bar and Grill...I don't think they have a website but you will find it if you walk down the main street. Its kind of an odd place with a great atmosphere but made a bit weird due to the skateboard theme. For a non-vego restaurant, it probably has the best vego/GF choices of any restaurant I have been too...unfortunately, my photos didn't really work, but here are some terriyaki tofu bites that I had.
 
I can't remember where I bought these but must also include at least one picture of "yam fries" - yeah sweet potato chips..they are everywhere in Canada and are very yummy - well from my perspective anyway, Jay being a boy is scared of them because they are made from an orange vegetable.
 
I must also include a photo of one of my favourite food discoveries. God this stuff is good, and would really go down a treat when doing late night system testing...I hope I can find it in Australia for the gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment