Wednesday, July 11, 2012

...home away from home?


Today was weird. I returned to a city that was home away from home for me for 6 weeks in 2005, which is the longest I’ve ever been away from home staying in the one city. Two distinct differences. One is the season. In 2005, I was here in February, and never left the hotel without a woolly hat, a woolly coat, and long pants, and there were remnants of snow on the ground everywhere. Now, in July, it’s stiflingly hot – its definitely t-shirt and shorts weather. The other difference is my home away from home no longer exists. We went to the street corner, and the view as if I was walking out of the hotel is completely and totally unchanged, but where the hotel itself was is now a construction site. The website gives the impression it’s a functioning going concern, but having seen the hole in the ground today, I beg to differ. I’m catching up with some people tomorrow night who might know what happened; I need to find out.

Cathy took me to the Phillips Collection and I spent a good ten uninterrupted minutes in the Rothko Room (http://www.phillipscollection.org/collection/rothko/index.aspx). I visited the Phillips Collection in 2005 and the day I attended it was packed. I may have poked my head into the Rothko Room and that was all; I definitely have no distinct memory of being in that room at all. Today, with it being quiet, I was able to enjoy. I have a much clearer idea today as to why I love his stuff, just don’t ask me to explain.

Following this, we saw the Gandhi statue, then took a cab to Georgetown (far too hot to walk), and as we walked around the university campus, Cathy told me about how she could have studied there. I don’t know why she thinks I’m smarter than her, it’s clearly not true! Campus was beautiful. We also had a drink or two at the pub featured in the film St Elmo’s Fire (http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/s/stelmo.html) which is about two blocks walk from the main Georgetown campus. Following this, we had a massive plate (for two) of veg paella at a Spanish restaurant. Taxi back was spent chatting with the Pakistani driver about cricket and hockey; he played hockey for Pakistan in the Olympics. He was the national goalkeeper, a claim which is somewhat corroborated by the fact he has no teeth left. Amazing the people you meet here.

Three whole days ahead of us, and so many things to cram into them. I just hope we get a break in the heat – even at 8pm tonight it was still 28 degrees – I fear Cathy may melt otherwise!(... and I probably wouldn't be too far behind myself ........)

No comments:

Post a Comment