Saturday, July 14, 2012

Seattle - the food


As I can't walk today - believe or not due to damaging my non-broken foot (*sighs*)...might as well catch up with some food blogging while Jay is exploring Capitol Hill in Washington :(

My first meal in America - below - was actually purchsed in Canada. Yes a packet of macarons...very nutricious but alas I couldn't eat anything else sold on the train. At least they were very yummy :) notice the special maple one on the right, in honour of Canada day.

On our first day in Seattle we wandered around Pike St Market. What can I say? Food heaven. It made all the fresh fruit and vegies we have in Canberra look pathetic. Everything was so fresh. So colourful. And there was so much of it!!!




It was very hard to decide what to have for lunch in this environment. However, I found a small Russian cafe in one of the arcades which is pretty rare. It was called Cafe Yarmarka. I got some takeaway salads, as I am always on the hunt to find a potato salad that actually tastes like my grandmother's. I got a potato salad (which was very close to the mark!), a cucumber salad (which was possibly better than my mum's if that is possible), an amazing spicy carot salad and a garlic beetroot salad. All brilliant. Alas this place was closing a week after I was there...But really if you are in Seattle you should get your piroshky here- I couldn't eat anything there due to the whole gluten thing, but the lines went around the block and the smell was incredible.


That evening we forced ourselves to have cocktails at Oliver's cocktail bar in our hotel - yeah holidays are tough. Great atmosphere. Felt rather like I was in a woody allen movie. The cocktails were to die for. I had a champagne and chambord creation, followed by a margarita of course. Jay was particularly impressed by one of their award winning martinis - so impressed he has to have two :) Also had the most amazing artichoke and spinach dip.




But certainly the food highlight of Seattle for me was Vietnamese at Long. I wish there was somewhere like this in Canberra.
 
The food was so fresh and everything was perfectly cooked. The decor was also wonderful.











We started with tofu vietnamese rice paper rolls and eggplant satay sticks.So fresh and tasty.

Jay then had a tofu soup for main and I had a tofu stir fry. This was filled with gluten and I regretted it...but it was so worth it.


In terms of drinks, once again I found an amazing raspberry mocktail creation here...I really should have stopped here, as word of warning the chile martinis here are fucking hot!!! Even too hot for Jay!

No comments:

Post a Comment