Sunday, July 15, 2012

"I had to eat at Reggies, Jerry! REGGIES!!!!"

We made it to New York City late this morning. I remember this place being cold (I only ever took my coat off to enter buildings) and with patches of snow on the ground. Today's weather could not have been more different. At least 35 degrees, and with about 125000% humidity. I can normally cope with heat, but today was really pushing my limits. Stifling. Still, we packed a few things in.

Luckily, our room was ready when we arrived. We're staying at Columbus Circle, at the south western point of Central Park. We dumped our stuff then headed out for some lunch, which we had at Times Square. We then came back to the room so Cathy could have a shower before dropping in on some friends in the Upper West Side. She needn't have bothered: by the time we reached the subway station - a mere block away - she was coated in sweat again. It really is blisteringly hot here, I never would have imagined. Four subway stops away and 17 floors up, and a lovely chat over cocktails (a Manhattan to welcome us to Manhattan - how awesome!). We walked all the way back to our hotel through the western edge of Central Park - about 50 blocks, but it had cooled down somewhat by then so it was tolerable, though Cathy's raw heel may disagree! We stopped at the Strawberry Fields section of the park, which Yoko Ono dedicated to John Lennon. She lives in the apartments over the road, which is where the horrible thing happened. I wonder if she was there.

We've discovered the Whole Foods Market (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/) since we've been in the US and we are both addicted. Such DELICIOUS and healthy food; if I lived in the US I could eat their food every night, and I'm sure Cathy feels likewise!

Will probably sleep early tonight, we have a number of nice things planned to occupy the day. I just hope the weather behaves, but I doubt it ....

No comments:

Post a Comment